Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Must Reads of the Week - Sex Sex and More Sex (Sorry Not Graphic)

Sex Sex and More Sex - Sorry NOT Graphic Kind

Sometime when JQ is not so busy, he wants to tie together the below articles into a piece that he has been gathering in his head for many years.

Although it is several years old, this is one of the best articles and discussions concerning the current female dilemma:

The reason studs are respected and sluts are derided is because being a stud requires skill, talent, and practice, while being a slut merely requires a pulse and a lack of impulse control. The unsung flip side of the double standard, however, is that female virgins are cherished whereas male virgins are ridiculed. A man who cannot get laid signals to the world that he is a loser, while a woman who resists spreading her legs for every scumbag who winks at her shows herself to be a sober, selective person.

Eternal solipsism of the female mind

The study found that women were least attracted to smiling, happy men, preferring those who looked proud and powerful or moody and ashamed. In contrast, male participants were most sexually attracted to women who looked happy, and least attracted to women who appeared proud and confident.

MedicalXpress.com - Happy guys finish last, says new study on sexual attractiveness

JQ has always had a fascination with James Dean. It gave me hope growing up that someone whose home life was so messed up could make good. Later on, I discovered that, while he showed some talent as an actor, it was the directors who cast him that deserved a lot of credit for his success. The roles that they specifically selected for him were tailor made to play up on his limited strengths and hid his flaws. They were roles that revealed his gaping wound in Technicolor:

And James Dean? "I loved Jimmy. I'm going to tell you something, but it's off the record until I die. OK? When Jimmy was 11 and his mother passed away, he began to be molested by his minister. I think that haunted him the rest of his life. In fact, I know it did. We talked about it a lot. During Giant we'd stay up nights and talk and talk, and that was one of the things he confessed to me."

The Daily Beast - Elizabeth Taylor Interview About Her AIDS Advocacy





It does not surprise me that James Dean was molested by a minister. It happens all the time. While not molested myself, I watched many children get molested during my alter boy years. Every so often I go back and scour the local news for abuse cases in parishes where I attended Catholic schools.  What surprises me are not the sheer number of priests that have been caught but that some of the biggest offenders have gotten off scot free.

One time JQ, who has amazingly been working full time since he was 14, had a weekend gig at an eastern orthodox church mowing lawns, serving as an alter boy at weddings and busing tables at the reception hall next door. My mom's boyfriend at the time, a private eye, warned her to watch out for the priest there since he had a fair number of cases involving priestly abuse. When she came to me in a panic, I had to reassure her that everything was fine even when it was not. Although he never molested me, he made his feeble attempts which my friend and I used to laugh at. What surprised me most was the realization that my mother and other parents did not know what was going on.

Apparently, this willful ignorance continued on well past my alter boy days.  Take the case of Father Joe:


"The pollution up at the Castle is an example of how chaotic that man's emotions are," says one nun, who declines to be identified. "Take a look at the term `castle.' It's the epitome of absolute control. That was his refuge. I don't think he ever had an intention of completing it. He was living a life of absolute fantasy, and the children were part of that fantasy, somehow."

Phoenix New Times - Father Joe

JQ's Jewish Obsession

Growing up, my parents many moves and my mother's obsession with educational fads led JohnQuincy into attending twelve different schools by the time he entered 9th grade. One of his all time favorites was Temple Academy in Galveston Texas. Perhaps, it is there that JohnQuincy, an Irish Catholic by birth, first acquired his deep admiration for the Jewish people. May god protect them.

Maybe this is why I am always transfixed by Israeli political debates. Here is the current Israel Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, in his younger days before an American audience:




Let's Blow Things Up

What I would give to shoot this off some days:

No comments: